The Basics of Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage in Connecticut

Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage provides benefits to policy holders for bodily injury caused by another driver who left the scene of the accident, has no insurance or does not have enough insurance to adequately cover your losses.

If you have been in an accident that requires the use of your uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, contact our accomplished New Haven auto accident lawyers for help with your claim. We will review the details of your insurance policy and work to help you obtain the compensation you need.

Connecticut Insurance Requirements

To obtain and maintain a motor vehicle registration in Connecticut, you must maintain a minimum amount of automobile insurance:

Liability Insurance

All motorists must have a minimum of $20,000 per person and $40,000 per accident for bodily injury liability as well as $10,000 per accident for property damage liability. This has been increased to $25,000 per person, $50,000 per crash and $25,000 for property damage as of 2018.

Liability insurance covers the injuries and property damage you cause to other people. Although motorists are only required to have these standard limits, they are encouraged to obtain more coverage, as injuries and damages from an accident often exceed the standard policy.

Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist

Connecticut General Statute Section 38a-336 also requires that all liability insurers provide uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage that is equal to the liability limits the insured purchased.

This provides benefits for personal injury to the policy holder and others covered under the policy caused by another driver. Policy holders can collect compensation for damages that exceed the limits of the at-fault party’s insurance up to his or her coverage limits subject to certain credits and reductions as allowed by law.

The only way a policy holder can have less uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage than the amount purchased in his or her liability coverage is if he or she requests a lesser amount in writing through an informed consent form. However, policy holders cannot have less than the minimum requirements of $20,000 per person and $40,000 per accident for bodily injury.

Underinsured Motorist Conversion Insurance

Public Act 09-72 also requires an insurer issuing a new automobile policy to inform the policy holder of the availability of underinsured motorist conversion coverage, which can be purchased as additional underinsured motorist coverage.  This optional coverage will not be reduced by any other sources of payment like traditional underinsured motorist coverage. F

or example, if you have underinsured conversion coverage of $300,000 and sustain $400,000 in personal injuries caused by a driver with only $200,000 in bodily injury liability, conversion coverage will allow you to recover $200,000 from the at-fault party as well as $200,000 from your insurance. However, standard underinsured motorist coverage would only allow you to recover $200,000 from the at-fault party’s insurance and $100,000 from your underinsured coverage, which would equal your $300,000 limit.

Who Does Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Insurance Cover?

Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage generally covers:

  • The policy holder who is the named insured
  • Relatives and spouses who live with the named insured
  • Passengers in the vehicle insured by the policy

Get Help with Your Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Claim

If you have been injured in an accident with a hit-and-run driver or another motorist that does not have insurance or does not have enough coverage to cover your injuries and losses  related to your accident, our attorneys can help you file a claim with your uninsured/underinsured motorist insurance provider.

We will review the details of your insurance policy to determine if there is compensation available to cover the costs of the injuries and other damages you have experienced after an accident. We can explain your coverage as well as any additional legal options that may be available for obtaining the compensation you need.

Contact us today for a free, no obligation consultation and review of your claim. We do not get paid unless you do.