EXPERIENCED LAWYERS FOR NURSING HOME MEDICATION ERROR VICTIMS
One of a nursing home’s most critical responsibilities is making sure residents take their medications as prescribed. In a well-run facility, every medication is administered at the right time, in the right dosage and to the right patient by the right route. Moreover, the facility should be aware of potential side effects and medication interactions and respond appropriately at the first sign of symptoms.
However, too many nursing homes fail to meet that responsibility, and the consequences can be serious or even fatal. If this happened to your loved one, you need to speak to an experienced attorney at D’Amico & Pettinicchi, LLC today. We handle nursing home negligence claims on a contingency basis, meaning you pay no attorney fees unless we are successful in obtaining a recovery on your behalf.
HOW DO MEDICATION ERRORS OCCUR?
Medication mistakes (or “adverse drug events” as they are often called in nursing homes) may be the result of a single negligent act, a combination of many factors or even intentional abuse.
A few common scenarios include:
- Patients who have difficulty with communication (often, stroke victims) may not be able to tell a care provider that they don’t take certain medications
- Mentally challenged residents may not be able to recognize that they are being given the wrong medication or the wrong dosage
- Pharmacists may “misfill” the prescription, giving patients the wrong medication or giving them the right medication but wrong dosage
- Overdoses often occur when residents are not properly supervised or monitored
- Employees at understaffed facilities may deliberately overmedicate patients as a means of control
We expect facilities to meet standards of care, and that includes both taking proactive steps to administer medications properly and addressing any medication errors immediately. When an adverse drug event occurs, the facility should have a protocol in place to address it appropriately in a timely manner. But too many facilities sweep these errors under the rug, and as a result, patients suffer.
LAWYERS FOR VICTIMS OF MEDICATION MISTAKES IN NURSING HOMES
Our attorneys know how to investigate these cases and have the experience and resources it takes to achieve results.
To speak with an experienced lawyer, please contact D’Amico & Pettinicchi, LLC, today. We have helped nursing home negligence victims In Connecticut for many years and are ready to help with your claim today.